Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Wizard of Oz is following me

Our school is performing The Wizard of Oz as our spring musical. I'm playing in the pit orchestra, so naturally, the songs have been stuck in my head. It wasn't until after a couple weeks of rehearsals that I realized how often the Wizard of Oz shows up in different adaptions and parodies.

The first was Tin Man, a SciFi (sorry, SyFy) original mini-series. Only the first episode really followed TWoO, but it was an interesting story nonetheless. The costumes were very well done, as were the sets, which is typical in SyFy movies. There were a few plot holes, and more clichés than any one mini-series should have, but I liked it anyway.

A few weeks later, I was watching Futurama, when I came upon the Wizard of Oz episode. It was a typical enough episode, just with a Wizard of Oz theme. The next week, my sister and I were watching Scrubs and ended up seeing my dad's favorite episode, the Wizard of Oz one: My Way Home. JD just wants to go home, Carla is looking for the courage to be a mother, Turk needs a heart for a transplant, and Elliot is pretending to be smarter than she is.

This past week, I was in Florida with the music classes at school. In Disney's Hollywood Studios, (I think, all the parks run together in my mind. Except Animal Kingdom, for some reason.) my group of friends went on the Great Movie Ride. One of the rooms you go through is a Wizard of Oz room. We had to sit and listen to the entire Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead song, then our guide had an exchange with the Witch of the West. Later on the same trip, the choir was performing in Downtown Disney, and one of the songs they sang was Over the Rainbow. I'm getting tired of the Wizard of Oz already and it's not even close to the performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment